WHY TEST YOUR DNA?
DNA or Gene Testing is an individual approach in order to improve weight loss by means of following the right diet according to your gene-set, improving your health by means of supporting bodily systems that may be weak and needs lifestyle support. In this way preventing disease in the long term and also being aware of your potential disease risks.
We can’t control our genes themselves, WE CAN CONTROL HOW OUR GENES ARE EXPRESSED – whether they’re likely to get “switched on” or off.
Genetic expression is strongly shaped by our environment, over which we DO have some power. So, if we know more about our genetic defects (called genetic variants), we might be able to adjust our lifestyle or environment in order to be healthier and prevent some illnesses.
If we know more about our own unique risk factors, we might be more likely to make healthier choices – choices that could impact our genetic expression
HOW GENETIC TESTING WORKS
It is as simple as 1-2-3!
1. Do a cheek swab - DNA testing is easy and painless, by taking a cheek swab sample (like they do in Crime Scene Investigations on TV) and then sending the sample back to the DNAlysis laboratory for analysis. Here they use modern technology to analyse a person’s sample in order to identify genetic variants and study the relationship between individual genes and diet - thereby gaining intimate knowledge about physiological processes that may not function optimally.
2. Unlock your results - DNA reports are generated that allows an individual to understand how their genes affect the way he or she respond to the environment e.g. the foods they consume or toxins they are exposed to.
Your genetic test results can take anything from 2 – 4 weeks to return from the laboratory, at which time your practitioner will make an appointment with you for a full and in-depth discussion of your results, developing your personalised diet, lifestyle and medical recommendations.
3. Optimise your diet and training plan - DNA reports are used to refine your nutrition and exercise plan to manage your weight and health. Providing you with a diet plan tailored to your genes (be it low carb or low fat) and insight into optimal exercise intensity for weight loss. However, some people have the gene where physical activity does not help them lose weight! Certain genetic variants can shape possible behaviour traits such as impulsive tendencies and addictions. Knowing, for instance, that you’re probably constantly looking for a reward can help you understand why you might be more drawn to an exciting sport or tasty snack. And help you work with your dietitian and trainer to find nutritional, exercise and behavioural strategies that work for you.
INSIGHT INTO THE DIFFERENT DNA TESTS
1. DNA DIET - DNA DIET tests a number of well-researched gene variations that impact metabolism, absorption and storage of fats and carbohydrates, as well as eating behaviour. It provides insight into how our bodies respond to different types of foods, it may also have a powerful influence on what we like to eat (bitter vegetables or sweets) as well as why some people get fat and others stay thin. Some gene variants affect appetite and satiety. Others appear to influence how efficiently people burn fat for energy. The DNA DIET report provides additional insight into how each individual reacts to carbohydrates, saturated fats and intensity of exercise, allowing a trained Nutrigenomic practitioner to further personalise your eating plan to suit your needs. DNA Diet tests some of the following genes involved in key metabolic processes:
Obesity risk / insulin resistance
2. DNA HEALTH - Majority of chronic diseases are preventable through the early adoption of suitable nutrition and lifestyle habits. The DNA Health test is designed to optimise wellbeing and health by personalising lifestyle and diet choices and, where necessary, using supplements tailored to offset any particular nutritional deficit based on specific gene variants. Since we are all individuals with different nutritional requirements for attaining optimal health, the DNA Health approach assists the healthcare practitioner in establishing the optimal nutrition necessary for good health, longevity and disease risk mitigation.
DNA HEALTH tests for 36 gene variants that are known to have a significant effect on health and susceptibility to chronic diseases. DNA Health reports on genes involved in the following areas:
Cholesterol metabolism and risk for heart disease
Bone Health & risk for osteoporosis
Vitamin B Metabolism and risk for cancer
Inflammation and oxidative Stress
Insulin sensitivity/resistance and risk for diabetes
Food Responsiveness, including Lactose intolerance, Caffeine processing, Salt sensitivity and blood pressure & Iron overload disorders
3. DNA SPORT - DNA SPORT tests genetic variants that influence injury risk, recovery, as well as power and endurance performance. Results provide insight into various biological areas that impact training responsiveness and sporting performance, optimal exercise selection, and injury and recovery strategies. The test is suitable for the elite performance athlete as well as the recreational athlete looking to maximize their fitness potential and reach peak levels of conditioning. DNA Sport reports on the following areas:
Structural integrity of soft tissues
Inflammation and oxidative stress
Blood flow and respiration
Energy during exercise
Muscle and bone composition
4. DNA OESTROGEN - 80% of breast cancer occurs in women with no family history. Oestrogen gene testing may help you lessen your risk. Research has shown that an increased lifetime exposure to oestrogen is a strong risk factor in the development of breast cancer.
DNA OESTROGEN tests for gene variants that have been shown to have an impact on how oestrogen is processed in your body and if the processing of oestrogen and related compounds is efficient and healthy.
You are not the same as everybody else, so why follow everybody else’s diet?
When we know more about our genetic variations and own unique risk factors, we might be more likely to make healthier choices – choices that can help manage our weight and prevent disease in the long run.
Make an appointment today, have your DNA tested and determine which may be the best diet for your genetic makeup.